status
Single
mature
Yes
A friend's eye is a good mirror.
N/A
Cinapup

Rhys did not cook.

Well, he did not cook often. What he could cook could only best be called the basics to surviving. Ramen, eggs, microwaved hotdogs, sometimes pancakes (though they would not come out in a circle) and french toast. It was enough to survive on if you had to, but it certainly was not something that you would really want the young werewolf to live off of. He had done it, a few times, but still.

This morning, Rhys had managed to wake up early and go for a run and shower before finally deciding to meander his way down stairs to get breakfast. His hair was still a bit damp, but at least he had gotten on some clothes before making his way down. Currently, Rhys was standing with the fridge door wide open, staring inside as if something would magically jump up at him and demand that it be its meal. Or maybe if he stared long enough, he would suddenly know how to cook some of the stuff staring at him.

For a moment, Rhys's hand hovered over a cup of yogurt before wrinkling his nose and grabbing the carton of eggs. He placed that on the counter and again stared at the milk as if debating on using the milk or using water to make his scrambled eggs. Finally, he decided on grabbing the milk before kicking the door closed, spinning around and making another face.

Now he had to find the damn skillet.

Or a microwaveable bowl. He could nuke the eggs if he was just going to have some scrambled ones. That seemed like the best idea at the time, so with out too much other thought, Rhys opened a few of the cabinets until he found sturdy bowls and checked if they could go in the microwave. When he saw that they could, he grinned and started his work.

Oh, there were some people he could think of right now that would be utterly disgusted that he was about to nuke some eggs.

Desperate times. Desperate times.

After adding three eggs and a few dabs of milk, Rhys started to scramble them up with a fork. His hips were swinging a little to the beat of the music that was playing in his headphones. It seemed that he always had music around him, and cooking was no exception to that. It was boring, and while it was a basic skill, it certainly was not something that Rhys was going to master any time soon. He had not mastered it before he was a werewolf, nor had he mastered it in the few weeks that he had been by himself.

It was almost funny how he had moved almost across the damn country and changed so much.. only to have so many things end up being the same. Law was once again his alpha, he was again living in the pack house, and he still was secretly hoping no one would whine about his cooking (if you could call it that) as he stood in the kitchen.

He did miss some of the pre-made meals though. Just like he missed some of his old friends...

But this was a new place, a new opportunity to meet new people. Hell, he was even starting a new chapter in his life with going to college. There was no need for him to dwell on the past.

@Eien

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Eien❤
PM
^
Law Lightwood
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 07:21 AM
57 posts
puppeted by Eien
Law
GMT +1 he/him
job
Forger / PI / Furore alpha
species
shifter
group
Furore pack
sexuality
bisexual
status
mated
mature
hell yeah
Of lessons learned, of lessons learned. Of bridges burned, of bridges burned. This time I'll do things differently. This time I'd like to need you less
N/A
cold ass motherfucker

Law didn’t live in the packhouse. When he pulled up to its driveway, his and Nico’s car purred kind of like it normally did, content and loud. He listened to the sound of its engine well after he’d parked technically, until he cut it off and then sat there in question. His insides bristled, and he took a gander at the car interior, and calmly reaffirmed with himself he hated vehicles. When he stepped out, it was with the thought he and Nico should perhaps move to the house. It was facing renovations and several new additions, and in long enough time it’d be enough of a replica of their old home he could consider it his new. He was not looking for an exact copy. But fuck a place without a pool, an outhouse and goddamn wards. It made him prickly and wry. Law slammed the door shut behind himself and walked on to the packhouse, his car parked in the garage. His mind was busy.

Inside, he greeted whoever he saw, and instantly made a beeline for the backyard of the house to see the work on the pool. God, this was going to cost him money. If he wasn’t rich, technically, he’d hate every second of this. He did, already, but that was the testy, pesky wolf that already wanted it all over, the noise gone and the renovations having added enough to the house to make it a proper home. Christ, he knew that most wolves lived outside, but Jesus fuck, it didn’t mean the house couldn’t be a bomb. He shouldn’t have had so many feelings about it but the general look of the place had always made him think of some well-intending puritan couple who’d had the house built for their large family with kids, white picket fence like, cute, but also long spared its old use and thus in a necessary refitting. But that maybe was just him. He’d always had strong feelings about everything.

Walking past the kitchen, he stopped, however, and peered in to enjoy the view.

Well, that was actually cute. Entering, since might as well stop by for a chat, Law’s hands were in his pockets, the car keys finally gone out of the sight though he still had one stubborn finger through one of the keychain hoops. He approached Rhys, silent even if the music Rhys was blasting made that a bit redundant, but he approached him silently still, true to his predator status that never seemed to take off that much anticipated vacation (anticipated by others; Law was fairly ok being who he was). He stood himself two or so feet behind the kid, entertaining briefly the thought of literally eating him, before tutting to himself and tapping Rhys’s shoulder to get his attention. Then he stepped back a bit since he had no desire to get swung at by accident. When he finally got Rhys’s attention, he motioned to remove the headphones, smirked, and greeted, once the pup could hear him, “Sup, Rhys. Wutcha doing?”

Peering at his work, he judged the plan very quickly, and ahh’ed accordingly, his hands out of his pockets and his gaze automatically pinned on the stove, which was without a pan. Hmm, suspicious. Law’s lips curled and he slanted an amused look at the boy. “Come on, you’re not going to use a pan? Rhys, don’t make me hover over your shoulder while you cook.” The warm lilt was full of jest, even if he wasn’t any kind of a person who’d make either his warmth or the jest too apparent. Mellow and low, they pinned him as relaxed as he was, and jerking his head in the direction of the stove, his hands slipping back in his pockets, he said, “Come on, time to cook a bit. I’ll show you if you don’t know.”

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Rhys McDermott
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 11:57 AM
34 posts
puppeted by Dani
Rhys
Eastern He/His
job
Student
species
Shifter
group
Furore
sexuality
Demisexual
status
Single
mature
Yes
N/A
Cinapup

His music kept him rather distracted from those around him. While Rhys enjoyed the company of others, he was also fine with being in his own world and keeping to himself when he was doing something as awkward as cooking. Ok, cooking wasn't really awkward. Not naturally. However,
when you had as little skill as Rhys did with it, it was rather awkward.

For a little while, Rhys was keeping to himself, starting to whisk the eggs up until he felt a gentle tap on his shoulder. At first, the young wolf thought it was another pack member who needed to use something that he was standing in front of. The joys of sharing a house with a bunch of roommates.

No matter how empty the room was, someone always needed to be right where you were standing. "Excuse me." he started as he turned to see who it was. He still needed to learn all the different names of his pack mates. One eyebrow shot up before he looked at Law and flashed a smile. He tilted his head for a moment and pulled his headphones off when Law did the gesture.

Not before he made sure his music was on pause.

"Not too much. Just making some eggs." he commented, grabbing the bowl and starting to work on the eggs again. When Law asked the sudden question, Rhys hesitated for a moment before wearily looking over at the stove then back at Law and offered a kind of half hearted shrug.

"I uh.. I might just stick them in the microwave for a few minutes." he answered. He flashed a quick smile in his direction as if it was no problem. "I don't really remember where the skillets are so I figured it would just be easier to nuke 'em for a short time and be done with it."

Could Rhys sound any more like a lazy college student?

Probably.

The possibilities were endless when it came to him having to cook. He had lived off of McDonalds and ramen noodles before moving into the pack house. Oh, and pizza, when he could afford that. "But I know how to cook eggs on a skillet.. They just.. don't always look like eggs when I'm done Like my pancakes look more like squished.. things than round cakes." he admitted.

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Eien❤
PM
^
Law Lightwood
 Posted: Sep 5 2017, 01:44 PM
57 posts
puppeted by Eien
Law
GMT +1 he/him
job
species
shifter
group
Furore pack
sexuality
bisexual
status
mated
mature
hell yeah
Of lessons learned, of lessons learned. Of bridges burned, of bridges burned. This time I'll do things differently. This time I'd like to need you less
N/A
cold ass motherfucker

Just making some eggs. Law looked at the bowl of eggs--

Now if his spidey sense was correct, that was a microwavable bowl. Hmm. He looked back at Rhys--

--stick them in the microwave.

Law’s brows rose. Straightening on the spot, until you were right to confuse him with a soldier, he said, “The skillets aren’t a town away, Rhys. They’re in one of those drawers”, something all too wry, and one part resigned in his tone. He made an unimpressed face at Rhys, and then slanted a look at the stove, this apparently large enemy just in the center of the packhouse that nobody had been aware of. He listened to the tale of Rhys’s pancakes.

“Jesus.”

He snickered.

It was a bland, and disbelieving sound, his hand on his hip in an akimbo, judgy position like he’d gone a 1860s chaperone, there to scowl at naughty virgin ladies showing ‘em ankles and shit to lusty suitors. Boo, you whores.

Smiling in warm amusement, he ordered, “Step aside”, and added, as he gently shoved the kid, “Sport.”

Take that!

Rhys moved out of the way, Law reclaimed the bowl with whipped eggs, opening one of the cupboards to season it with salt and black pepper, and then finding a nice skillet in another, neighboring cupboard, a kitchen towel grabbed and bunched to give the pan surface a wipe before it was placed atop the stove, and turned on. He didn’t rush to recover the oil. He did recover it, mind you, sighing somewhat as he commented to Rhys in an explanation, “I have children. I had children, some of them are dead--- mortality, as you know. A pretty common cause behind death. Tsk. Sit. I’ll make you breakfast.”

He slanted a look at Rhys then, having ventured to the pantry to recover a large bottle of vegetable oil, which was uncapped, and a tablespoon poured into the center of the pan, where it spread out to all the sides, and he returned the oil to the pantry, back to grab the pan by its handle and rotate it slowly to spread the oil evenly. He’d slanted look at Rhys, was the point, and adopted a warm, calm smirk.

“Don't eat like you have nobody to feed you, Jesus. You doing good, Rhys?”

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Rhys McDermott
 Posted: Sep 9 2017, 09:08 AM
34 posts
puppeted by Dani
Rhys
Eastern He/His
job
Student
species
Shifter
group
Furore
sexuality
Demisexual
status
Single
mature
Yes
N/A
Cinapup

"Well, I never said they were in the town... Just didn't want to look around?" he mumbled a little more to himself than to the alpha wolf in front of him. Still, he seemed to find the other's comment amusing and seemed to be trying to just laugh a bit out right. It was hard to tell if the laughter came from true amusement of Law's reaction or if it was from embarrassment.

Probably both.

"It isn't like they taste that different." he grumbled as he moved a little to the side for the other, rolling his eyes a bit dramatically as he pulled his phone out of his pocket to pull the headphones out and twist them so he could shove both in his pocket at the same time. He soon shoved them both back in and started to watch what Law was doing.

"I remember you showing me some of the pictures." he admitted a little as he watched what he was doing. He was not sure if he ought to add anything to the comment about his children. It did not feel right since he had not known them. Instead, he decided to focus on watching what Law did. He ended up making a little sound when he added the slat and pepper before cooking the eggs. It sounded like a bit of a grunt that said Oh... "I can get the butter-" he offered, used to using that for greasing the pan instead of oil. He stared a bit surprised at the use of oil. That was different.

Maybe not as different as he thought.

Actually, if he thought about it, he had seen a few people use oil when he did watch them cook. Just never for eggs.

"I don't think I'm eating like nobody'll feed me. I just am eating like I don't know where stuff is. And yeah, I'm ok. Just decided to get something for breakfast. Classes are going ok. Not too bad." he answered, looking up at Law, still not sitting down. He enjoyed watching others cook. He might not know how to, but he liked to pretend if he watched he might suddenly learn how to cook. Or, at least figure out what he ought to do to make things a little better.

A good first step would probably be to stop microwaving everything.

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Eien❤
PM
^
Law Lightwood
 Posted: Sep 11 2017, 02:58 PM
57 posts
puppeted by Eien
Law
GMT +1 he/him
job
species
shifter
group
Furore pack
sexuality
bisexual
status
mated
mature
hell yeah
N/A
cold ass motherfucker

“Uh-huh,” he said in turn, and kind of kept it at that. Uh-huh, you lazy ass. Rhys had just become the typical single man in his early twenties; entirely nonchalant about bettering himself, and utterly blase about the condition of his own skillset. It was like someone had made Law sit through an episode of some generic American drama-- and someone had once before, to very vile results. Still, he ignored this eventually, humming instead in thought.

“Have I?” he echoed, even though he remembered. That November the First talk. Of course he remembered. How couldn’t he? Of course, it’d been a kinder time, a simpler time. A time when Lana was still alive. Law didn’t want to remember.

In the present he was elsewhere now, in a pack that he’d not planned to lead but plans be damned and no choice had been given-- it was his now, for the better or worse, a largely ominous statement even if Law knew himself well enough to understand it’d be for the better. The question only was how long the pack would take to adjust to him. A new alpha, a new beta, and in a week or so, when the pack was deemed ready, Adeline would resign as its omega and push Nico to assume her place. As par their agreement. Law wanted it done yesterday but patience had been promised, and patience would be delivered. He heated up the oil and said, his mind distracted, “No need for oil. The cream will add all the richness the eggs will need.”

That was the cook in him talking. Besides, butter had a rather low smoking point, and he detested dealing with it no matter its millions fans swearing by the creamy richness it added to any dish. Fuck off. Law quirked a brow at Rhys over his shoulder, and smiled, but said no more. He cooked. Heat lowered, when the eggs hit it, they began cooking immediately, though at no startling speed that he’d worry. Leaving the eggs to sat, they formed ribbons once stirred, a rather gorgeous sight until he diverted to grab sour cream from the fridge and toss a dollop in.

Not only did it cool the egg mixture, but right there was the extra special ingredient that elevated the flavor profile above how eggs normally tasted. At least in Law’s humble opinion. If the fridge had had some nice creme fraise, he’d have loved to rely on its pleasant, creamy tartness-- alas. The eggs moved off the stove and the heat killed, Law let the residual heat of the pan cook the eggs, in the meantime grabbing plate for Rhys and musing out loud, “Want a guided tour of the kitchen? I don’t mind. Come here.” He did pour the scrambled eggs onto the plate, privately frowning as the plate itself wasn’t warm and therefore its cool surface versus the hot eggs, quickly their heat would be sapped, a most unfortunate exchange observed in a physics class. Not that big of a shame since this was no pricey restaurant, but still. Law set the skillet aside, and glanced up at Rhys with an idle look.

“What is it you study again?” With the mild distaste in his tone, you’d believe he disliked education-- perhaps the style of it wasn’t much to his liking, but still he beckoned Rhys towards himself and said, half-sighing, “Who’s even paying for your student loans or however the hell that things works? Not that I’d know. I should.” Mentioned with a hint of a smile, amused. He should. He didn’t. Since fuck knowing things he never used in his life. “What can you cook, Rhys?”

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Rhys McDermott
 Posted: Sep 13 2017, 11:34 AM
34 posts
puppeted by Dani
Rhys
Eastern He/His
job
Student
species
Shifter
group
Furore
sexuality
Demisexual
status
Single
mature
Yes
N/A
Cinapup

All Rhys could do in his situation was to offer a bit of a shrug that seemed to imply he knew it was bad, but it had happened and there wasn't much he could do about that part. At least he had accepted the help. If he was really given a choice on the matter that is.

Rhys watched as Law started to work on the eggs again, giving only a slight nod of affirmation to him talking to him about his family before. He had enjoyed that conversation now that he could look back at it. At the time, he hated it. He dreaded having to open up to Law about why his mother had bothered and haunted him so much. There were a variety of reasons why he hated that conversation, and they ranged from being used to not talking about it to not feeling like he was worth other people's time. Now though, he felt that it had been the start of a bridge that allowed the two to get a bit closer. Law became a little less of an authority figure meant to be feared and more the kind of person Rhys could talk to.

As Law explained why he did not need butter, Rhys just nodded his head again. "Oh, I didn't know that." he admitted as he watched Law work on the eggs, shuffling a bit to sort of watch what he was doing. He enjoyed watching others cook, and sometimes liked to think that he might use the techniques himself. Maybe.

When Law suddenly grabbed the sour cream and dropped some in, Rhys stared at him a bit concerned for a moment. He had never used sour cream for anything other than putting it on some baked potatoes. "Why did you add that in?" he asked, truly curious as to why someone would do that.

"I mean, if you feel like giving it to me? I think I'll be good though." Rhys grinned a bit. He knew he had walked into the jokes. Hell, he deserved that line, and almost any other joke about losing the skillet that would no doubt be thrown at him over the next few weeks, months, and possibly years. Who knows. Depends on who finds out and how they decide to take it. "Map might be better. Then I won't forget." he grinned a little more.

At least he was starting to show more of his humor now.

He took the plate before taking his fork and stabbing it into the eggs to eat. They smelled good enough. "Smells good. And thanks for making the eggs." he added in before he started to take a bite. They were good.

He chewed a little, listening as Law threw a bunch of questions at him as he ate. He waited until he swallowed the food to even try to answer. "Well, I don't know yet. I was talking to Shy a little while ago and she suggested something with music. I don't know yet though so I am just getting the core classes out of the way. I'm paying through the money I earned as a bar tender, some student loans, and a few scholarships I managed to find. I was going to also think of getting a part time job to make sure I keep up the money, you know?" he talked, poking at the eggs before finishing his sentence and taking another big bite of the meal given to him.

That next question threw him. Again, Rhys only shrugged before he started to chew, thinking over his answer. "Just that is edible? Or looks like its supposed to?" he questioned before swallowing.

"Because I can make pancakes, french toast, uhh, eggs, uhh microwavable meals, ramen noodles, and umm." he mumbled, trying to think. "Cereal. Microwave hotdogs, uhh, oh! I can bake chicken. That I know how to do. And make rice." he explained, looking at Law with an honest smile.

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Eien❤
PM
^
Law Lightwood
 Posted: Sep 18 2017, 04:51 AM
57 posts
puppeted by Eien
Law
GMT +1 he/him
job
species
shifter
group
Furore pack
sexuality
bisexual
status
mated
mature
hell yeah
N/A
cold ass motherfucker

“For creaminess and to cut through the fattiness of the eggs,” he explained. “Add tart to help with anything flavor or texture wise.” He paused to flashed Rhys a smirk-- “Take it from me.”

Take it from father extraordinaire, as he’d no doubt like to believe himself to be. Perhaps he was. With the record of almost all of his children gone, but their children, and the children of their children well cared for, wrapped in an invisible power of protection that interfered with misfortunes that bowed to Law’s influence, the conclusion would be yes, he pretty much was the shit. Or just a shit depending on if you asked his enemy. He tsked, and said, “I can draw you a map then. Just… don’t laugh at it,” he added, his eyes squinted at Rhys too, almost as if he had made such an attempt in the past though only to get laughed at. It was right to question the fate of that person, but as it would turn out, Law was very unwilling to punish his own children for laughing as fuck at his stick figures. As far as art was involved, slap a line over line and Law Lightwood was done.

He waved the thanks off, leaning over the counter and his arms crossing over his chest. “Make nothing of it.” It was a bit embarrassing really that a young man had let a fellow adult cook for him, but in the context of who they were, and with wolf rules applied, not really. “Just don’t let me wash your back in the shower. I think I’m bound to draw the line at that.” Added in pure jest.

The scrambled eggs relocated and Rhys chowing down, a familiar and calm mood settled over the kitchen. Easily, Law would have believed he was in his old house with his mortal wife, feeding one of their children while she slept in the next room. For being but a mortal, she’d had a great energy, and even greater ambitions. She’d been a strong woman, but with a vulnerable, sweet core she bared only to him. For a while, Law missed her.

Pondering over the spoken, he took a while to say, “A, that sounds plausible. Explore your venues and whatnot, and b, the fuck, Rhys.” Because the fuck, Rhys. Shooting the boys an entirely amused look, Law still chided, chuckling, “That’s shit, you’re an adult man. There’s no excuse. I’ll toss you in with Gabriel. He knows how to cook. Granted, so do I, but.” But. Was he also drawing the line there? Law joined Rhys at the table, flopping himself down and saying, “But pass. I no longer have the same patience I used to have when I was younger.” He slouched in his seat, and flicked a hand dismissively. “Was some nice era, though. My kids used to wake me up as early as they could if I didn't beat them to it. Lil shits. Took right after daddy.” He grinned at that. “Seriously, you have to learn how to cook. It’s a pretty useful skill. Also, according to some, hot. You gotta learn how to make a good sausage before people will want to put it in their mouths, you know?”

Ba dun ts.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^

Topic Options
Fast Reply
New Thread!

affs & tags
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Maelstrom All of Me Fractured The Four Dimensions OCULI VIDENTIUM 

Black Prism ACTA ruinandrise UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED MEFA; a pre-Shepard Mass Effect RP Ataraxy Frisson RPG
Shadowplay RPG-D
Tagbox requires separate login. Sign up using the gear below.

Skinned by SARAH exclusively for Fugue State.