| Staff | Member | Guest
PLS NO: plots, tags or adverts in the cbox~

fugu stat
e
Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Closed
New Thread!

Playing With Fire, Open
Xander Grayson
 Posted: Jun 26 2017, 04:15 PM
122 posts
puppeted by J-Chan
Xan, Pyro, Blaze
MST Him/His/He
job
Bookstore Clerk
species
Witch
group
None
sexuality
Heterosexual
status
Single
mature
Yes, bring 'em on.
If this is to end in fire, then we should all burn together.
N/A
Firestarter

Xander couldn’t begin to fathom what life had been like for Sloan. Until his teenaged years, he was convinced that every family had a mother and a father, and that their children were their own. Obviously he’d been sheltered, for his own protection mostly. It was better than the alternative, which was to say that there were people out there that could hurt him or take him away from his parents and siblings. Little did he know that that assumption had been right. He had been taken from his family, forced to be in prison and in a mental ward. Sometimes he wondered if things had gone differently in those situations, would things be better? O would they be worse?

Without a coven, Xander didn’t get to form those important bonds and friendships with like-minded individuals who weren’t very different from him. But he had exposure to other witches in the family, passed around between them usually whenever there was a family event going on. Wasn’t uncommon to pull him aside and teach him how to use his magic right after a wedding or a funeral. His grandmother especially had a knack for bringing out the magic in him when the moment wasn’t right for it. However highly inappropriate, he took to his magic much earlier than some of the rest of the kids in the family, and went on a fast track to becoming a promising young witch. Eventually his grandmother would give him a grimoire, one that she had when she was his age at the time she gave it to him. And over the years he’d add to it, coming up with little spells or potions that he’d use throughout his life. He still had the grimoire, too, and was still adding to it, still carting the heavy tome around wherever he went – except for now. The woods were no place for a tome, not when he was going to be playing with fire.

He cracked a smile when Sloan mentioned that she didn’t know what normal ferret behavior was, “Well, I don’t exactly have another ferret to compare him to. Only what I’ve read on the internet and seen on those animal shows on TV.” He did a lot of research when he first got Oscar, learning all he could to make him a better pet parent. And so far, Oscar complained very little and didn’t have many health issues in all of his life. So there was a good chance that Xander was doing a good job at caring for the little guy? He couldn’t be sure. Only knew that the little guy had been his lifesaver many a time throughout his two years of living in San Francisco.

Xander had never met a dealer before (that he knew of) and really all he had to go on were the stereotypes attached to them. At the mention of the dealer’s name, he’d raise an eyebrow and looked a little surprised, saying, “Kaegan? That’s an interesting name. Sounds like a good name for a dealer, I guess,” like his own name was any less unique. In a classroom and even in his graduating class, he was the only Xander on the list. Of course there were Alexanders, Alexandras, and even one Aleksander. But he was the only Xander, and he always got weird looks when people were told that his name wasn’t short for anything. All he could hope for with the dealer, though, was that the man was kind – even moderately so would work for him – and wasn’t going to sell him something laced with amphetamines. What more could he ask for? Oh, maybe Kaegan not taking his soul was a good option, too.

“Yeah, you work at that potion shop in town right?” That’s what he remembered, anyway. He didn’t know much about the place, really, seeing as how he usually got his potion supplies and the like shipped in from Louisiana. Xander gave it some thought, tapping a finger on his chin as his elbow rested on his knee and then he straightened, saying, “Sunday might be a better option, then. I don’t know how late your dealer works, so after work Saturday might be out of the question – “ unless – “Unless he is the kind of guy you can call anytime?” Could be possible though, however unlikely.
PMEmail
^
Sloan Dysis
 Posted: Jul 9 2017, 10:52 PM
85 posts
puppeted by kenzie
Slo
EST (Canada) she/her
job
Cashier (Thistledown)
species
Mortal
group
Lucidum
sexuality
Confused AF
status
single
mature
bring em on
You're just a ghost of blissful feelings, a cloud of smoke that I keep breathing
N/A
lost kid

Eventually that envy turned into a kind of bittersweet happiness for others. For her friends who were lucky enough to have a family that loved them, who never had to question whether they belonged in any family because if your own father couldn't live with you then who could? Happy that they didn't have to go through the foster system for any amount of time, bit still unable to ever fully get rid of that sting she felt as a child over it. Sloan hadn't been taken - like some she'd met in the system - no, she'd been given up, willingly separated from her parent. It'd been an active choice.

Knowing that it was easy to see why Sloan had craved and needed the bonds of a coven. Needed something she felt tied to and an important part of. To be needed and to belong. It made simple sense. Of course, as she'd gotten older and life had seemingly become more complicated so did her own needs to those kinds of bonds. There was more complexity to the bonds, different kinds to fulfill the different kinds of emotional needs. And by god, did Sloan have a lot of those. A lot of insecurities that she'd relied upon external forms of validation to appease. She'd flung herself full throttle into one coven, relied completely on them for all of that. And the young witch had come out the other side with a whole new set of emotional baggage and some nasty habits she had yet to fully kick.

"Good old internet, there for help when we're trying to figure out how the hell to be a functioning adult - or pet parent - and have no idea what to do." She'd done a ton of research herself before getting Monty, Sloan had always liked snakes but had only had a rough idea of how to take care of one. And no clue about tank sizes. But for once she'd manage to think ahead and buy one that he'd grow into instead of having to buy multiple tanks to grow with him - mostly because the witch hadn't been certain she would be able to afford having to buy new tanks as he grew. For once planning ahead that had been thought through and actually executed well. A small victory she didn't often have.

"Like our names are any less interesting." She commented, not realizing how close to Xander's thoughts her own were. There had been instances where people had outright refused to believe her first name was Sloan upon first hearing it, assuming it to be her last name instead. Honestly in all her years, there'd never been another Sloan - first or last name - that she had run in to. Had even heard the 'that's an interesting name' comment a few times too, often followed by wondering where it came from. Sloan had never had an answer for that. Although to be fair, there hadn't been a dealer who had done more than quirk an eyebrow at her name. Probably not caring much so long as they got their money and she got her drugs.

A nod in affirmation, "Thistledown, yeah that's the one." Still not completely sure how she managed to land the job but it wasn't something Sloan was willing to question. A gift horse whose mouth she was firmly staying away from. "I can call pretty much whenever. Doesn't guarantee he'll pick up but Kae calls back once he can. He's reliable." However odd that might sound when referring to a dealer it was true. Sloan hadn't been left in the lurch for very long as of yet, besides Saturday was a night people normally stayed out later to drink. Customers out later meant it was more likely for dealers to be out right? Least that was how it went in her experience.
PMAIM
^
Xander Grayson
 Posted: Jul 19 2017, 02:23 PM
122 posts
puppeted by J-Chan
Xan, Pyro, Blaze
MST Him/His/He
job
Bookstore Clerk
species
Witch
group
None
sexuality
Heterosexual
status
Single
mature
Yes, bring 'em on.
If this is to end in fire, then we should all burn together.
N/A
Firestarter

He grew up strong during the crucial years of his life when his powers were beginning to show themselves. Maybe that was why what happened, happened, because he was strong and didn’t know his own strength. He’d tried for years to come up with reasons the event took place. Nothing had ever taken place in his mother’s or his grandmother’s lives that was harmful or dangerous – as far as he knew of, anyway. There were things in their lives where he had no reason for prying at them, no matter how small or how large they were. Each of them were respectful of him, too, in that regard. Although his mother would always be his mother in the sense that she was always checking on him, seeing if he was alright, and that there was nothing in his voice to say that he wanted to hurt someone. And when he had hurt someone, she’d been right there to console him – not to berate him or be fearful. That was not a mother’s place, and there wasn’t a day that went by that he didn’t thank her for that.

But his grandmother had a saying later on in her life: a witch should never be without a coven. In some cases, covens were like second families, people who were understanding and not judgmental. Simple people who would listen and offer advice where applicable. Accepting and kind, though not without a forceful hand if someone was out of line. He only wished he was closer with more of them. Not that he thought less of his relationship with Sloan. He liked her well enough, and considered her to be a friend. There weren’t many around that would just listen anymore. Only a few brave souls from his hometown still talked to him, and fewer still rarely called him. But there were a few that did. Annabelle’s sister was one of them, and hell, he might as well admit it to himself here and now: he missed her, too.

Oscar was a good distraction from his personal life. Always there, always offering a squeak as if to say he was listening. He had a large cage in one spot at Xander’s apartment, just outside his owner’s bedroom door, in fact. Fresh food daily, treats here or there, fresh water, and plenty of exploring around the apartment, all while under the watchful eye of his master. Xander was always cautious about the pet getting into something he shouldn’t, but these days Oscar was comfortable enough in his own space that he didn’t need to explore much. Mostly he ran around with energy Xander had no idea where he had gotten. And he went to bed usually when Xander went to work, and was awake when the witch got home. It worked out, until the witch retired to bed and Oscar played the role of loyal watch-pet. A faithful guard, vigilant and quiet when as was well. “Yeah – I don’t know about you, but I did a lot of research on ferrets before I first got him. He was a little flighty at first, but he settled pretty quickly. And eventually he started warning me of oncoming attacks, something I didn’t have to train him to do. Animals know more than people, I hear.” He said to Sloan, poking the fire again with a stick.

The fire burned quickly as they talked, whether by the gentle prodding against the flames with his magic or merely because it was taking in the oxygen of the free air surrounding them, he didn’t know. Logs had cracked down the centers, each piece falling to either side, and the flames proceeded to engulf the exposed wood. He gave her a smile, looking back up at her, “They are interesting to others, but not necessarily to us as we grow up, hearing them all the time.” His siblings felt the same way – or at least his sister did. Rowena was not a common name in the least. Xander wasn’t, either. And Michael? Well, he had resigned himself to the fact that nothing about him would ever be the least bit interesting. And so far, he’d lived up to that. Heh.

“That is the important part, I think, that he is reliable. He’s pretty trustworthy, too? Not the kind to spike the drugs he sells with other substances?” He’d heard of that being done before. “Before I forget, do you need a ride home? I don’t mind taking you where you need to go when were done talking each other’s ears off.” He smiled at that, too. It was nice to have someone to talk to. “I’ve enjoyed tonight, by the way. It’s nice to have someone to talk to, and I’m glad I didn’t have to be out here alone. Gets a little creepy up here when I am by myself.” Xander could mostly handle his own. A lot of creatures were afraid of fire – at least, non-humanoid creatures were. Against the rest of them? That he didn’t know.
PMEmail
^
Sloan Dysis
 Posted: Aug 4 2017, 06:15 PM
85 posts
puppeted by kenzie
Slo
EST (Canada) she/her
job
Cashier (Thistledown)
species
Mortal
group
Lucidum
sexuality
Confused AF
status
single
mature
bring em on
You're just a ghost of blissful feelings, a cloud of smoke that I keep breathing
N/A
lost kid

Coven had been the only family she'd ever known. The foster houses she'd been placed in didn't exactly count as any kind of family. Far from it most of the time in her experience. There was no abundance of loving support when you were the means for a cheque and heaped into a place too small for the number of kids there. When those were your formative years, it wasn't too much of a surprise that Sloan had stumbled with her powers and dove head first into the first support system she'd ever had in her life.

Whether that was healthy or not, was something that the witch was still admitting to herself. But the drug habit formed because of that reliance on the support of her coven probably spoke more to it than she could ever manage. A poignant point she wouldn't be able to vocalize as well as that fact could. But when it was the only kind of support she had ever known, it had seemed and felt like it was leaps and bounds better than the complete lack of support she'd previously had. Only now was she beginning to figure out what a healthier kind of support felt like; what it felt like to have someone concerned over her for no reason other than that was the kind of person they were. Not because she could make the coven stronger, or they needed her to be able to use her magic, just because they were concerned.

Left her feeling warm and fuzzy and a little off balance.

"I was kinda the weird kid that liked snakes and reptiles when I was younger, so I already knew some of what I needed to take care of Monty. I was fuzzy on tank sizes, but hey google was great for that." She admitted with a casual shrug and a grin. It really wasn't a stretch of the imagination that Sloan would be that kid in the class thinking snakes were cute instead of scary. "I had no idea ferret could do that - the whole warning of attacks. But hell, animals do know their shit." And usually actually trusted their instincts instead of doing something like totally ignoring the warning signs in an aura…

Really Sloan had been largely ignoring the fire's progress and giving little thought to it as it burned down. A comforting background to their conversation, almost white noise and a nice warmth in the dark surrounding the two. Marking the time they spent there without drawing too much attention to itself. And letting them actually see each other. "Exactly, and the constant 'oh were you named after someone specific?' or 'where does that name came from?' as if we chose the names ourselves." Questions that Sloan had resigned herself to being completely incapable of answering years ago. Although it seemed that as she'd gotten older those questions had seemed to have filter off. Popping up more rarely now.

"Yeah no, nothing is laced with anything else. You get whatever it is you're paying for and just that. I'd guess doing that isn't exactly the best for business." She confirmed with a nod. At least it didn't exactly make sense, a bad trip could be the end of a customer. So really being honest if only for what was being sold seemed he better option. With a grateful smile the witch sat up a bit straighter, stretching her back from sitting and slouching throughout their conversation. "Thanks Xander, that's really nice to offer. And I really enjoyed it too, we should do it more often - although maybe not always all the way out here. It is nice, but you're definitely right about the possible creepy factor. Much less horror movie setting when you aren't alone." Particularly moreso when Sloan wasn't intimidating in any way.
PMAIM
^

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Closed
New Thread!

affs & tags
Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Maelstrom All of Me Fractured The Four Dimensions OCULI VIDENTIUM 

Black Prism ruinandrise UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED MEFA; a pre-Shepard Mass Effect RP Ataraxy Frisson RPG
Shadowplay RPG-D
Tagbox requires separate login. Sign up using the gear below.

Skinned by SARAH exclusively for Fugue State.